After looking for recipes that included kale, I found this recipe for a kale & turkey sausage soup.
I’ve changed it up a little from what she had, but none the less it’s still delicious and SO healthy for you!
Anyway, my modified recipe.
This makes a BIG pot of soup so you’ll have plenty to freeze.
I always end up eating it for dinner a few days in a row &
then freeze the rest in portion sizes so I have it on hand for a quick meal.
1lb ground turkey*
2 Tbsp. Penzey’s Pizza seasoning*
1 can of white beans – drained & rinsed
2-3 big handfuls of kale washed & chopped
1 small white onion diced small (or 1Tbsp onion powder)
2 medium potatoes sliced thin
1tsp red pepper flakes
2 minced garlic cloves
pepper to taste
1Tbsp olive oil
9 cups chicken stock
grated parmesan cheese
*If you don’t have the Penzey’s seasoning you can just buy turkey sausage instead.
I just choose this way because it has less fat with all the flavor.
1. Add olive oil to pan & saute’ onions for 10 minutes on low. Make sure they don’t brown.
2. Add garlic and saute for a minute or so. Make sure it doesn’t brown.
3. Add turkey & Penzeys seasoning and cook through. I use my Pampered chef chopper to chop it up real thin.
4. Add in chicken stock, beans, kale, potatoes (optional), red pepper flakes
5. Bring to a boil & then cook on medium heat until potato is cooked. (about 20-30minutes)
6. At this point you can either top with some parmesan or simmer for another 30 minutes. I prefer to cook my soup a long time to ensure the kale is soft & doesn’t have the curly texture still. Plus it helps bring the flavors together quite nicely.
In the pictures posted I had the sliced onions and potatoes but you definitely don’t have to add them if you aren’t a fan or if you are watching your white carb intake. I made this for dinner last night and didn’t add the potatoes and it’s just as yummy!
Do you have a favorite kale recipe?