A few months ago I bought a lemon bush and a lime bush…so I thought. Turns out it was a KEY lime bush and I needed some recipes that were not only health, but also delicious and kid approved! Insert the search for a key lime pie recipe.
I adapted these from The Minimalist Baker. She did a similar version but didn’t have the extra protein added in. I wanted to make these a good option for breakfast or an after school snack for the kids and a healthy treat for me when I’m craving something sweet!
WHAT YOU NEED
You only need a few ingredients and it’s seriously SO easy to make! You just crush some graham crackers, mix in some butter and put them in your cupcake tin. Bake those for less than 10 minutes and let them cool down. Next up, blend in all the other ingredients in a blender and pour over top of the base. When that’s all complete, put them in the freezer to finish up.
Because I modified the recipe from the original I was a little nervous about the outcome. After a few hours of being in the freezer, I took one out and took a bite before I handed them to the kids for the dessert. Oh man am I so glad I took the chance on these bad boys!!! They are creamy and delicious. I also love that you can modify the tartness of them to suit your families taste buds!
Healthy Key Lime Pie
Do you want a creamy and delicious mini version of the popular key lime pie? This one is all of that and even kid approved!
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker (1 sleeve)
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked for 4-6 hours, then drained
- 3/4-1 cup light or full fat coconut milk shake well
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 5-7 key limes or 3 limes
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/3 cup honey or other sweetner (agave necter) increase/decrease on preferred sweetness
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder Shaklee Life Shake
1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Add graham crackers to food processor and make sure they are all crushed. Then add in melted butter and combine.
3. Put graham cracker mixture evenly into muffin tins. Press down with a spoon or glass to flatten. Bake for 7-10 minutes and allow to cool.
4. Add all the filling ingredients to a blender. Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Add a little extra coconut milk if mixture is too thick. Adjust sweetness / tartness with key limes and honey.
5. Pour filling in to the muffin tins equally. Tap a few times to get any bubbles out. Top with a little lime zest.
6. Freeze for 2-4 hours. Remove from freezer and enjoy! Best if served fresh. Pies can keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.